Sunday, May 16, 2010

We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet


Recently I have been thinking about what a blessing it is to have a living prophet on the earth today. In a day of confusion and darkness, how appropriate to have a man of God who can lead us steadily on our way to eternal life! I had the opportunity to watch the Joseph Smith movie at the Oakland temple again yesterday, and once again the Spirit witnessed to me that Joseph Smith truly was God's chosen prophet who restored the fulness of the Gospel to the earth. I love the prophets of the Book of Mormon and the Bible and know that they spoke words of truth, but today I was reminded that the words of the living prophet take precedence over those that came before. Having grown up in the Church, I know I have become over-familiar with the fact that we can have access to the words of a modern-day prophet whenever we desire. With the Internet and the Church website (www.lds.org) we have a plethora of resources with information and talks that can last our whole life through! What a blessing it is to be able to hear the latest council of our prophet twice a year in General Conference! Not only can we hear his words, but we can see his face and feel that immense love that he has for each one of us.
Thomas S. Monson has been ordained as a prophet, seer, and revelator of this time. He knows our day and our challenges, and he can guide us in God's way like no other man on Earth. He is Heavenly Father's ordained messenger and witness, and he will never lead us astray. We should be eating up his words more than anyone else's! I came upon an interesting question: What IS the prophet telling us today? If someone asked me that, could I answer sufficiently? Honestly, I'm not sure I could at this time. Thus, I have determined that I am going to compile a book for myself with President Monson's General Conference talks especially, and other talks as well, from the time he was sustained as the prophet in April of 2008. I am excited to search his words and find the recurring themes and council he has for us! I love President Thomas S. Monson!

2 comments:

  1. You were in Oakland and didnt come visit me? :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Cuppy Cake! I'm sorry.. If I had been in my car I totally would have! It was a ward temple trip though and I rode with my bishop :( I miss you

    ReplyDelete