Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Hairy Situation

The other day I was getting ready to take a Spanish test. As I was walking down the stairs to the Humanities Testing Center, a guy passed me, heading to the same place. His confident gait and the smile on his face told me he was going to dominate this test! He walked in the door, pulled out his student i.d., and approached the counter. The indifferent student officiator glanced at the young man and informed him that he would not be able to take his test because of the five o'clock shadow dusting his face. "I'm sorry, it's an honor code policy." All appearances of confidence gave way to a look of surprise. "I shaved this morning after my shower at 9 o'clock!" The officiator, himself with little hairy stubs on his face, looked at him again and responded, "Maybe so, but we can't let you in looking like that." The young man, in desperation, answered, "You have hair on your face, too, so you must understand how hard it is to keep clean-shaven. Please, just let me take my test!" But his pleas were to no avail. I was sitting in the hallway, doing some last-minute studying, when I saw him burst out of the testing room and sprint down the hall. He returned a few minutes later, a package of razors and shaving cream in hand, wiping the last remnants of cream off his face. I believe he was finally admitted into the testing center (and hopefully he still dominated the test!).
First off, witnessing that incident made me especially grateful I'm not a boy! I know some guys who only have to shave every 2 or 3 days, but I know others (like this one, apparently) who could probably grow a full beard within a day or two. What a bother it must be to have to shave every day! I think it would be humorous (but super annoying!) if part of the honor code concerned girls and not having hairy legs... I mean, isn't that a part of keeping well groomed? I guess it's debatable. But girls have it easy, I think. If we have hairy legs for whatever reason we can just put on pants and it's not an issue.
The other thought I had was how grateful I am that I don't work in the testing center. I am too much of a softie--I think I would have a hard time turning people away! As far as this guy I saw when I went to take my test, I definitely would have let him in. But that is the thing: The line has to be drawn somewhere and once it is one has to adhere to it or people will walk all over it. It definitely is a difficult situation, and I'm glad I can just go in with my smooth face and (sometimes) hairy legs--covered up with pants, of course--and take my tests!

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that shaving legs is "slightly" more involved than shaving a face though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi rachel! i have a question for you. i write for latter-day woman magazine and we are featuring rising star in next month's issue. i would love to hear a little about your experience, and with your permission, include a few quotes in my article. if you get this within the next few days, will you email me? jessie.lynn.george@gmail.com

    thanks so much! it looks like you had an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete