Thursday, August 12, 2010

Concerning the Children


As I've said, the kids are absolutely adorable here! They will just come up to you even if they've never seen you before and start talking with you and playing. I am struggling with learning/remembering names though, which is kind of bad. I have heard of some kids with especially interesting names. For example, there is Joseph Stalin and little Karl Marx (yes that's his real name!). But wait, the story gets even better. Karl Marx has a brother named John Kennedy and guess what--John Kennedy got kicked out of the Rising Star school for bad behavior! I thought that was hilarious!
The kids love getting their pictures taken and if they see you with a camera out all of a sudden you will be bombarded with "Aunty! Photo! Aunty! Another photo!"






I love to hear them singing at prayers, but some of them have troubles sitting still for the 15 or 20 minutes that they are required to while the teacher gives them a spiritual lesson. (I have some problems too! haha). Yesterday I was sitting next to two of my little girls when I looked over at a boy who was probably 12 or so. I winked at him--he stared for a minute and then smiled. I winked again and made another face and then turned back to the teacher to listen (even though I can't understand anything she is saying because she speaks Tamil to them). When I looked back at him, he was whispering to another little boy next to him and they both looked at me. Then the other boy winked back at me and started raising his eyebrows up and down. They are so cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment