We made it to the airport and eventually I was on my way through security (after another tearful goodbye to the rest of my family). I think I'm in trouble--that was the longest flight I've been on and it was only about five hours total! If I survive the 15 hours and 20 minutes of travel time to India it will be a miracle! I was beginning to feel really sick (I think I had a fever and my throat was getting worse), which made the flight seem even longer. Anyways, I finally made it to Chicago, though, and in a little while my cousin and aunt had picked me up and we were on our way to meet my grandparents in a little town called Rockford. They were sweet and took me out to dinner, then we finally reached their house. I love my Oma and Opa's house! It is so peaceful and full of love. Unfortunately I've come down with strep throat, so I haven't been able to do much, but I got to the doctor yesterday and took my medicine as soon as possible. I am pretty sure I will be able to leave on Monday for India still. I guess it's a blessing I got it here and not in India or something!
Even though I've been sick, I have enjoyed being with my Oma and Opa. They are so cute and Oma has spoiled me terribly with lots of big bowls of brownies and strawberries topped with ice cream. We have had some great chats and I got to see some pictures of when Oma and Opa first came to the United States from Germany in 1950. I will be sad to leave them! Oma is already making cookies and talking about what goodies she will send with me on the plane, haha. I love them so much!
I've noticed a huge change in the weather conditions I'm used to. Gone are the foggy, 50 degree days. Now I'm in Illinois where it is super humid and hot! The highs are in the 90s and there are mosquitoes everywhere. I guess it's just a taste of what I'm going to experience in India. I'd better get used to it!
I can't believe I will depart for India in TWO DAYS!! I've finally realized the magnitude of what I am going to do, and I admit I'm getting a little nervous. But I'm so excited to go help over there and to expand my horizons. I know everything will be worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment