Well I only have a few minutes, but I've finally made it here to the Rising Star Outreach campus. I have seen so many amazing things and experienced so many new sounds (still LOTS of cars beeping their horns) and smells and tastes! I can't even begin to describe it.
It is almost 3 PM and I am already exhausted! This morning my group went out to work construction in one of the closest leprosy colonies. It is also one of the most advanced ones out of all of them because there was already a wonderful woman working with the people there before Rising Star was started. Our task this morning was to move big concrete bricks by hand from one location to another one, a small hut, with each trip taking about 3 and a half minutes. These bricks will be put together in order to build a small bathroom (squat style, like all the bathrooms here!). Just in case you are wondering, I have pretty much mastered the art of the squat toilet, which is not as bad as I originally thought it would be. Thank goodness, we use toilet paper still, a vast improvement to the "left hand and water" technique that is common in India. I have to say, it is a lot better than peeing in the backyard, which the individuals in the colonies have been resigned to do because they have lost a lot of land to building and expansion.
It was hard work, with two sizes of bricks, the smaller one weighing probably 40 pounds and the larger one closer to 60 pounds. I could not believe the amount of sweat that was pouring off my face! The man promised a vehicle would come so we could load it up with the bricks instead of carrying them one by one. It FINALLY did, probably after an hour or so, which made the work a little easier but still very difficult.
Many of the villagers watched us as we trudged with our bricks, which I kind of expected (of COURSE they would want to watch a bunch of dumb Americans carry concrete bricks in such a slow way when they could probably do it a lot faster), but my favorite was these two little boys. They were probably two or three years old and SUPER CUTE! They each picked up a little rock and put it up to their eye, pretending the stone was a camera and they were taking pictures. I would have taken their picture, but my battery died!
I am learning to appreciate the small things here--there was a teeny shop on the side of the road that sold cold sodas, among other little items. I'm not much of a soda drinker, but that ice-cold 7-Up never tasted so good as when I got it during a small break we were taking! Also, I have learned to love the bucket showers here at the hostel. It was so refreshing to be able to rinse off all the grit and grime that had accumulated on my sweaty body and put on a clean outfit!
I also am gaining a deep love for the people here already. I love their little mannerisms, like the way they bob their head with a funny confused-looking face that means yes. Before construction, we got to visit a little art school in the colony. The artists themselves have been infected by leprosy, but their paintings are absolutely beautiful, and the people are beautiful as well. Last night I got to play with the kids here at Rising Star and help some with their homework and in getting ready for bed. They are absolutely adorable! They call all the volunteers "aunty" or "uncle", and from the moment I stepped on the playground they had completely accepted me, saying "Aunty! Look how high I am!" or "Aunty! Play this rock game with me!" I got to experience a beautiful moment yesterday, as the children gathered for prayers and scripture study after play time. They sang a few songs in their native language, but also sang the hymn "I Stand All Amazed." It was absolutely wonderful to hear all those little voices sing about the love of our Savior. It is hard to see people here in such poverty, but I know that Jesus Christ loves them and is mindful of them, just as He is of everybody else.
One thing that is freaking me out a little bit is the probability that I will get lice (which virtually all the children have), especially since I have been paired with a "family" of about 15 little girls. It is a 50/50 chance! I would definitely love it if I could somehow return home without getting lice, but I guess we'll see how it goes. Now, I can feel myself getting a little paranoid at every little itch on my head!
Here are just a few of the photos I've taken so far..






Fantastic stories! It sounds like a truly amazing experience there. Keep working hard! Thanks also for your little testimony at the end. I also really hope you don't get lice either!
ReplyDeletewow! it sounds like you're having a good time!
ReplyDeletethe pictures are beautiful and i hope you don't get lice! :)